It's A Keeper: Teriyaki Chicken with Warm Ginger-Carrot Slaw


It's A Keeper: Teriyaki Chicken with Warm Ginger-Carrot SlawWhen I look for Rachael Ray's recipes, I generally start and finish online. It's just so easy to do at work, then make a grocery list, and head to the store on my way home. But every now and then, I just get in the mood to go through the ritual of curling up on the couch with a pile of cookbooks and finding recipes that catch my attention. The problem with this is that I have to type them up to post them here, so any errors should be considered mine, not Rachael's! I found this recipe in Express Lane Meals.

This recipe definitely caught my attention when I was looking for easy and healthy weeknight meals. It's still warm here in Northern California, so using the grill outside (and even the grill's little burner) is a good option. The other great thing about recipes that require grilling is that my husband unwittingly ends up doing most of the cooking (insert evil laugh here).

The slaw is what really makes this recipe. Crispy and full of flavor, it's the perfect complement to the teriyaki chicken. If you can remember to, I really recommend throwing together the marinade and marinating the chicken the night before. I think that made a big difference. This meal took me about 40 minutes, start to finish. Here's the recipe with my comments in brackets:

4 Servings

1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets [Also called thin-cut at my store]
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce [I think it's important to use one that isn't syrupy, so that the sugar in it doesn't burn on the grill. We like the Kikkoman brand.]
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 rounded tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning (eyeball it in your palm) [I admit to still measuring. Maybe someday I will eyeball it.]
1 small Savoy cabbage, about 1 1/2 pounds
1 bunch scallions, trimmed [I assume this means cutting off the little roots at the end and cutting the icky part off the top of the green parts]
1 cup snow peas [I like the ones sold in packages in the produce section by the cole slaw cabbage mix]
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons pickled ginger, drained and thinly sliced (found on the Asian foods aisle) [In my store, they keep in in the refridgerated sushi case. What, they don't sell sushi in your grocery store? Move to California, then!]
2 cups shredded or julienned carrots
Salt and black pepper

In a large plastic food storage bag, combine the chicken cutlets with the teriyaki sauce, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and the grill seasoning. Close the bag and press to coat the chicken evenly. Let the chicken stand for 15 minutes. [I did this the night before, since no chopping was involved.]

Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan or skillet to medium high.

Cut the cabbage into quarters and cut away the core [you'll do that by cutting on an angle into the quarters.] Cut the scallions into 3-inch lengths, then pile them lengthwise and julienne them into thin strips. Pull the threads from the ends of the snow peas and julienne them into thin strips lengthwise, like the scallions.

Drizzle the honey into a small bowl. Add the vinegar and combine with a fork. Pat the chicken cutlets dry and place them on the grill or grill pan (or into a hot skillet) and cook for 3 minutes on each side. [It sounds like hardly any time, but they are so thin, so they really do cook that quickly.]

Heach a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, twice around the pan. Add the pickled ginger and the carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Fluff and tos the veggies with tongs so they stay dry and crisp while cooking. Add the scallions and snow peas and stir-fry for another minute. Add the honey and vinegar combination, pouring it all around the pan in a slow stream. Cook the liquids down for 30 seconds, then turn off the heat. Continue to toss the slaw and season it up with salt and pepper to taste.

Thinly slice the chicken on the diagonal. Mound up one fourth of the slaw on each plate and place the sliced chicken alongside, edging its way up the slaw salad. Serve immediately.

Here are a few more pictures:



Related Site

-Drink and Chicken Recipes

-Pork Chop Recipes online

Related Videos :below I show related videos and not so related to this article.

Title: Greens Keepers - Lotion

"It puts the lotion on it's skin." Inspired by Silence of the Lambs

Title: How to be a Goalkeeper: Positioning

I get the point across even though it's a bad visual example and I stumble over my words in places. It's very important that you cut the area of the goal down so either A) the striker will feel pressured and miss the shot entirely. or B) they'll end up shooting the ball right into you so you barely have to move. or C) they'll place their shot really well where you actually have to work hard to save the ball






0 comments:

Post a Comment