Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent.

Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. Well I finally did it!!! Did what you ask??? Well make my own Homemade Laundry Detergent. I know this is not food related in any way, but it definitely is a frugal idea. So I really wanted to make sure to post it. I have see this recipe floating around the Internet and a lot of different frugal bloggers have been making their own laundry soap for years. I guess curiosity finally got to me. I really wanted to know if it cleaned as well as the leading brands on the market.

If you ask me some brands which I wont mention are ridiculously overpriced. Plus I have noticed the price has been increasing and the product size has been decreasing. I don't know why I didn't get around to doing this lot sooner. I think it was because I thought it would be impossible to find all the products needed to make the detergent. I mean I had never seen the Fels Naptha Soap, well that's only because I haven't been looking for it. It has been right there all along it is just something I don't normally shop for.


Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. A lot of the people have stated that it would be really hard to find all three products needed at one store, so I was prepared to make trips to two different stores. Well surprisingly I found all three products at my local Kroger. I couldn't believe it. You will need the following items to make you own laundry detergent. Mule Team Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda & Fels Naptha Bar Soap. I recommend buying 4 bars of the Fels Naptha Soap, that way you can pretty much use all of the products without having anything left over.

The Borax cleans, disinfects and softenes the water. Arm & Hammer Washing Soda works on grease and neutralizes odors. The Fels Naptha Soap is a heavy duty laundry soap bar & stain remover. If you follow the recipe below you will have enough laundry soap to wash 160 loads of laundry. Total price to purchase all the items to make my own detergent came to $11.24.

I thought this was a great deal. When buying and making your own laundry soap there a few things to keep in mind. Do not buy Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in place of Washing soda. They are two different products that are not interchangeable and results will vary if substituting one for the other. Also, grate the soap first this is so it dissolves better in the wash. The finer it is, the quicker it dissolves. Keep in mind this is the most time consuming part of the whole thing after that its a breeze.

Homemade detergents are low sudsing, you won’t see many suds in the wash. No worries, this is normal and your clothes will still come out clean. You only need 2 Tablespoons of laundry soap per load. This roughly comes out to about 1/8 cup. I just store a measuring cup inside with the soap container. One thing I have noticed is that sometime when using commerical laundry detergents they will leave a residue on my clothes when they come out of the washer. I line dry a few items and that is where I notice this problem. Well, since I started using the homemade detergent I have yet to see any residue.

The washing soda and the borax are usually the easiest to find at your local grocery store you can locate them in the laundry isle. You might have a bit of a problem finding the Fels Naptha Bar Soap. Fels Naptha is a Dial product, so I have included a link to the dial store locator listed at their website. Store Locator for Fels Naptha Soap. This should help you find a store in your area that sells the soap. If you still cannot locate the soap you can substitute by using Zote, Sunlight or Ivory Bar Soap. I have seen the Zote Soap at Walmart.

Making you own laundry soap is really a personal preference, some might think its just really going to far or a big hassle to make it yourself. I don't think so, a lot of the commercial laundry soaps have so many harsh chemicals, dies and perfumes that is is really sensitive for some people. This is just your basic plain jane laundry soap. I do hope you give it a try, I am loving this stuff. And even loving it more that it cost me only 7 cents per load. Lets get started........


Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. To beging the soap will need to be grated.

Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent.you can use a cheese grater or a food processor. (If using a food processor make sure to wash the blades really well after) I am using a old grater that will only be used for soap.

Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. Add washing soda then


Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. borax

Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. stir well.

Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent.Place in sealed container or tub and measure out two tablespoons (or 1/8 cup) for each load. I just leave my measuring cup inside the tub so it is always handy.

Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent.Store in a air tight container with a good sealing lid.


Frugal Household Recipe: Homemade Laundry Detergent. I have also started to line dry my clothes to help cut the cost of our electric bill. We have a electric dryer so with 5 people it really runs through the week. If I don't do laundry at least every other day it will pile up. I have noticed that with the homemade laundry soap my clothes are not stiff at all. Plus here in Texas they take no time to dry. I haven't took the plunge into homemade laundry softener but you never know that might be next. Here is a break down of the total cost of the products.

Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster - $3.69
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda - $2.79
4 - Bars Fels Naptha Soap - $1.19 each bar = $4.76
Total Price - $11.24
Price Per Load - 7 cents


Homemade Laundry Detergent

Large Batch Recipe

4 - Bars Fels Naptha Laundry Soap
6 - Cups Mule Team Borax
(this is roughly one box I had about 2 cups left over from box)
6 - Cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (this is roughly one box))

Grate soap using cheese grater. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Place in sealed container or tub and measure out two tablespoons (or 1/8 cup) for each load.


Smaller Batch Recipe
2 - Cups Laundry Soap Shavings
(you can get this easily from one bar)
1 - Cup Mule Team Borax
1 - Cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Follow instructions for above recipe.



Printer Friendly Copy



Photobucket
Tina, The Mom in Mommy's Kitchen



Related Site

-Free Food Recipes Online

-Food and Drink Magazine



0 comments:

Post a Comment