Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie"

Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and everyone loves a good old-fashioned homemade pie for the holiday. I love pumpkin and pecan pie, but my most favorite is Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie. This Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe is amazing! It is rich and velvety, sweet and thick just like an old fashoined chocolate pie should be. The chocolaty pudding filling is so comforting because it’s the way Mom and Mamaw used to make it. Well not my mother but my friends mother. That's where I got this recipe about about 15 years ago. I wanted a good old fashoined chocolate pie and her mom had the perfect recipe. I made it once and now I have been making it ever since. I love old fashoined desserts they have to be my absoulute favorite. Ya know the ones old fashioned cream pies like chocolate, coconut or banana, lemon ice box pie or homemade banana pudding from scratch. Red velvet cakes, coconut cake, marble cake, sock it to me cake or a sunshine cake. Chocolate pudding from scratch and one of my favorites creamy rice pudding.

Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie"My list could go on forever. All those homemade desserts from scratch they hold a special place in my heart. I think my most favorite spot after our Thanksgiving meal is hanging out at the dessert table. Um mm it is so fun to stand amongst all the goodies just trying to decide what I want first. I am so bad I usually end up taking a bit of everything cause I just cant decide on one thing. I know I am a sucker for sweets. I will probably more than likely be making this pie to take to Thanksgiving. My sister in law loves it as much as I do, so I cant disappoint. This year I made a slight change in my chocolate pie recipe. Carnation sent me some free coupons for their evaporated milk and challenged me to make a dish using their milk. This recipe was the first one that came to mind. I wanted to see if my original chocolate pie recipe would be better using carnation evaporated milk or regular whole milk. I was a bit nervous changing up a already great recipe, but I gave it a try. Well the verdict is.............. I like it way better using the Carnation Evaporated Milk. Why? because it made the homemade pudding so much richer than before. I will be substituting evaporated milk in this recipe from now on. Thank You Carnation!!!! If you want a old fashioned favorite I highly recommend serving or taking this pie on Thanksgiving. Everyone will L?VE you for it. What is your favorite holiday dessert from the Dessert Table?


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie"Let's start by getting our pie crust prepared. Prick the bottom and sides of your pie crust and bake until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling.


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Mix the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa together in a medium size pot.



Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Add the 2 cups evaporated milk or whole milk. If using evaporated milk I used a 12 oz can, measure one cup evaporated milk add to the pot and then measure one more cup evaporated milk. You will be a bit short it comes to more like 3/4 cup so fill the rest of the measuring cup with water to make a full cup.


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Using a wire whisk blend together and stir constantly over medium high heat.



Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" When the mixture is heated through add the 3 egg yolks. You will need to temper the egg yolks so add a bit of the pudding mixture to the egg yolks and blend before adding to the pudding mix. (you don't want scrambled eggs).


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Stir constantly until thickened and bubbly and the mixture looks like a thick pudding.


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie"Remove from heat and add the vanilla and the butter. Let cool pudding mixture cool while you prepare the meringue topping.



Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie"Now for the Meringue topping this can be made two ways. One using the reserved egg whites from the pudding recipe. Or you can use trusty Meringue Powder which is my choice. The reason I like to use Meringue powder is because it turns out perfect every time. Sometimes when using eggs whites they wont set up or you get a bit of the yolk in them and it ruins the meringue and it separates all over your pie. No one wants that, so to prevent that I use Meringue Powder for perfect meringue every time. I purchased my Meringue Powder at Walmart for $4.50 for the small can or the large can is $14.50. I never need quite that much. I found it in the cake decorating isle in the craft and floral department.

*If using Meringue Powder save the reserved egg whites for another recipe. Follow the directions on the back of the can of the Meringue Powder for Meringue Pies. I doubled the meringue recipe. It was the perfect amount for my chocolate pie.
If using the egg white method, mix the 3 egg whites with a dash of cream of tarter along with 2 Tablespoons sugar. Whip the egg whites till stiff and soft peaks form.


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Here is the meringue using the meringue powder. Nice pretty peaks and it smells so heavenly!!!!


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Add pudding to cooled pie shell and



Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" top with meringue making sure the meringue touches the sides of the pie crust to prevent shrinking.


Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" Broil till lightly golden brown on top



Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping "My Favorite Pie" there is nothing better than a old fashioned chocolate pie just like granny used to make.




Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie

1 - Pkg Pillsbury Pie Crust (one crust)
1 - cup Sugar
¼ - cup Cornstarch
pinch of Salt
1 - heaping tablespoon of unsweetened baking cocoa
2 - cups carnation evaporated milk or whole milk
3 - eggs, separated - reserve egg whites
1 - tablespoon vanilla
2 - tablespoons butter

Meringue Topping
3 reserved egg whites
dash cream of tarter
2 tablespoons sugar or
use Meringue Powder

Preheat Oven to 350. Prick the bottom and sides of your pie crust and bake until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the filling. Mix the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa together in a medium size pot. Add the 2 cups evaporated milk or whole milk. If using evaporated milk I use a 12 oz can, measure one cup evaporated milk add to the pot and then measure one more cup evaporated milk. you will be a bit short it comes to more like 3/4 cup so fill the rest of the measuring cup with water to make a cup. Using a wire whisk blend together and stir constantly over medium high heat. When the mixture is heated through add the 3 egg yolks. You will need to temper you egg yolks so add a bit of the pudding mixture to the egg yolks and blend before adding to the pudding mix. (you don't want scrambled eggs) Stir constantly until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and the butter. Let cool pudding mixture cool while you prepare the meringue topping. Mix the 3 egg whites with a dash of cream of tarter along with 2 Tablespoons sugar. Whip the egg whites till stiff and soft peaks form. Add pudding to cooled pie shell and top with meringue making sure the meringue touches the sides of the pie crust to prevent shrinking. Broil till lightly golden brown on top.


*If using Meringue Powder omit the egg whites and sugar. Follow the directions on the back of the can of the Meringue Powder for pies. I doubled the meringue recipe.



Printable Recipe






Related Site

-Free Food Recipes Online

-Food and Drink Magazine



0 comments:

Post a Comment