Super Easy Homemade Granola

por | | |
Super Easy Homemade Granola Toni over at the Happy Housewife really got me motivated with her Bulk Cooking Day. I make lots of foods from scratch, but I wanted to do more. Toni's Homemade Granola recipe has been on my list of things to make for awhile now. For some reason I had forgotten about it, but was quickly reminded when I went through and looked at all her video tutorials on bulk cooking. You really need to check out her post she has some great ideas. I wanted to make this granola so bad that I went to the store first thing this morning and purchased some wheat germ.

I wont make that mistake again it was $4.19 a jar. Whew that is so high, I know this because I can get double that at Sprouts Market for so much less. But I couldn't get there till this weekend and I really wanted to make this today. For the first batch I followed the recipe exactly. When the granola was done I tasted it and it tasted really good but was a bit plain for me.

Super Easy Homemade GranolaPerfect for my kids because they don't like anything extra in their granola. But DH and I we like lots of different goodies in ours. I started on a second batch and added a few different things. Brown sugar, almonds, pecans and a bit of cinnamon sugar. I mixed it all in with the dry ingredients and then added it to the butter and honey mixture. When the granola was finished I could hardly wait to taste it.

Goodness is all I can say I loved the addition of the different nuts and the brown sugar it gave it a whole new taste. Next time I might mix in some dried apples or cranberries after the granola cools. This is such a easy recipe to make so I don't think you could mess it up. Just have fun and experiment with some different flavors you never know what you will end up with. My next task later this week is to try Toni's Bagel recipe. I may have to make some more granola as well, because i cant stop eating this stuff. I gotta go and hide the container.

Super Easy Homemade Granola First melt the butter in a 3 - quart saucepan over medium heat.


Super Easy Homemade Granola Add the honey and salt and briefly heat with the butter.



Super Easy Homemade Granola In a separate bowl mix together the oatmeal, wheat germ, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon sugar. This photo is from my first batch so the nuts and brown sugar were not added yet.


Super Easy Homemade Granola Turn off the heat and add the oatmeal mixture.


Super Easy Homemade GranolaStir until everything is coated evenly.


Super Easy Homemade Granola Pour the mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread the mixture out evenly

Super Easy Homemade Granola
bake at 375° for 10 minutes (watch carefully) It will be a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and let cool. I let mine cool on the baking sheet about 10 minutes. Then slide a metal spatula under the granola to loosen it from the bottom just a bit. Let cool about 30 minutes on the baking sheet then break into smaller pieces and store in an airtight container.
Super Easy Homemade Granola
Fabulous!!!


Super Easy Homemade Granola Here is a version I made adding cranberries and raisins before baking. I also substituted Hodgson Mill Multi Grain Hot Cereal instead of Wheat Germ. The Wheat Germ was so pricey. I got the Hodgson Mills for $1.99 a box and it had wheat germ, flax seed and whole grain wheat bran. So until i can buy the wheat germ in bulk this is what i will be using.


Homemade Granola

3 1/2- cups uncooked old fashioned or quick oates
1 - stick + 1 tablespoon real butter
1/2 - 2/3 - cup honey (your preference)
1/4 - cup light brown sugar
1/4 - teaspoon salt
1 - teaspoon cinnamon sugar
1/2 - cup wheat germ
2 - tablespoons flax seed
1/2 - 3/4 - cup almond pieces
1/2 - 3/4 - cup pecan pieces
1/4 - cup sunflower seeds
1/2 - 3/4 - cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit
1/2 - cup raisins

First melt the butter in a 3 - quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the honey and salt and briefly heat with the butter until foamy and bubbly. In a separate bowl mix together the oatmeal, wheat germ, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon sugar if adding dried cranberries and raisins add them as well. Turn off the heat and add the oatmeal mixture. Stir until everything is coated. Pour the mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

Spread the mixture out evenly and pat down. Bake it at 375° for 10 minutes (watch carefully) It will be a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes using a spatula or flipper slide it under the granola to loosen it a bit so it does not stick. Let cool on the baking sheet about 30 minutes then break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

I used my little hand chopper to chop up the nuts in smaller pieces. Not to small you want a few good size pieces.




Tina, The Mom in Mommy's Kitchen



Related Site

-Free Food Recipes Online

-Food and Drink Magazine

Related Videos :below I show related videos and not so related to this article.
Title:
Title:



0 comments:

Post a Comment