Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles

por | | |
Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles
Homemade Sweet Hot Pickles - a slightly sweet, slightly hot pickle that is crisp and delicious. Also known by the name of "Wickles". All I know is these pickles are so good and so simple to make. Not to mention they make such wonderful gifts during the holidays. I am really getting a jump on some of my canning, I am having so much fun canning all sorts of items. It's going to be so wonderful when Thanksgiving and Christmas arrive, I will have so many different homemade canned items to share with my all family and friends.

The first time I had these pickles was a couple years back during the holidays. I believe a family member brought them to Thanksgiving. They shared them with everyone and the taste was so awesome kind of sweet and a bit hot what a great combination. If you like hot and sweet you most definitely must try these pickles. They reminded me of the sweet and hot jalapenos (Texas Cowboy Candy) just not as hot.

Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles This recipe is so so cheap to make you wont hardly believe it. You can purchase the huge gallon size jars of pickles at Sam's Club or Walmart for under $4 and the Jalapenos a large size jar for under $3. So you see you can make a lot of pickles out of that one gallon jar. To much to keep but perfect for sharing.

Since this was my first attempt at making these, I started off small and used a 46 oz jar of Walmart Brand Dill Pickles. For this size jar of pickles I used 2 1/2 cups sugar. and all the jalapeno juice it would hold. I purchased a large jar 64 oz. The recipe at the end of the post is for a big gallon size jar of pickles.
Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles Drain all the pickle juice out of the jar. Remove pickles and cut into large chunks. I have a handy helper in my kitchen. He hates pickles but he loved counting and adding them to the bowl. Add the chunks of pickles back to the jar. Now for the jalapenos, I removed most of the jalapenos and put it into a smaller jar since I am going to use some of the jalapeno juice. Add a few jalapeno slices to the jar of pickles. Keep in mind that the more jalapeno slices you add the hotter the pickles will be.


Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles Start adding the sugar to the jar add as much sugar as the jar will hold. Then pour enough jalapeno juice that you can get into the jar.


Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles
Put the lid on tightly. And place it in the refrigerator. For the next 7 days you will turn the jar every day to rotate from top to bottom. (Sit with top of jar up one day and upside down the next repeat this everyday. When the 7 days are up



Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles
Separate into smaller jars for gift giving.

* I made my pickles ahead of time so what I did was just process the jars as you would for canning. I sterilized all my lids, rings and jars and then added the pickles to hot jars and processed in a hot water bath as if I was canning jams or jellies. For half pints process 5 minutes and for pints process 10 minutes.



Sweet & Hot Pickles aka Wickles
Sweet Hot Pickles aka Wickles

Take 1 gallon dill pickles & 1 large jar of Jalapenos (about 64oz) as cheap as you can buy. You can get a gallon jar of pickles for under $4 at Sam's or walmart and a large jar of Jalapenos for under $3. I buy the jars of pickles and jalapenos at Walmart in the over sized section. Cut into chunks and discard the ends and the vinegar you have drained off the pickles. Return the pickles to the gallon glass jar and add add 4 pounds of sugar and all of the jalapeno juice.

You will have to shake the sugar as you add it for the jar to hold it all. When you have about half of the sugar in the jar shake the jar vigorously and add the remainder of the sugar. You can also add a few of the jalapenos if you want. (but be careful cause the more jalapenos you add the hotter it will be) Put the lid on tightly now for the next 7 days you will turn the jar every day to rotate from top to bottom. (Sit with top of jar up one day and upside down the next.) Refrigerate large jar while turning. When the 7 days are up divide into smaller jars for gift giving.






~ Mommy's Kitchen Welcomes Your Comments ~


Related Site

-Free Food Recipes Online

-Food and Drink Magazine



0 comments:

Post a Comment